Tuesday, October 14, 2008

There is something about the commute...

Once again I find tonight's topic after an interesting commute home. It was about 6:15 when I realized I was missing something - my retainers.

First a little background - I got my braces on in 2nd grade and yes, I am still wearing retainers. This might sound like an excuse, but I am just being used as a pawn in the neverending battles between my orthodontist and dentist. For example: the orthodontist puts on a permanent retainer. The dentist takes it off and leaves a nasty voicemail for the orthodontist. The orthodontist finds out the retainer is taken off and leaves a nasty voicemail of his own. On and on it goes...

So my retainers are missing and I have a bad feeling they are wrapped up in a napkin sitting in a waste basket under my desk. Since I am practically home I give my supervisor a call and explain my predicament. Since she is awesome she searches through my garbage looking for my retainers. Not there - perfect. So I just made a fool of myself asking my supervisor to dig through my garbage looking for retainers and they aren' even there.

Then I realize I was distracted by the situation and missed my exit. I am headed straight into the heart of Newark. For those of you not from NJ, this is not a good thing. I make a call to my friend's dad (Newark native) for directions out of the city and have to explain to him why I am lost - the retainers.

It gets better.

I arrive home and realize my wallet is missing as well. It has to be in my desk - I usually put it there because it is uncomfortable to sit on all day. I call 3-4 coworkers hoping they are still at the office w/o any luck. Finally I get through to someone who is kind enough to confirm that my wallet is at the office and lock it up for me.

So Lasagna Mama, if you ever need a ride home I would be happy to help, but I can't gurantee it will be uneventful.

2 comments:

Shana said...

haha don't feel bad I still wear my retainers too.

Beth said...

OMG - my first shout out on a blog (that I know of, and let's face it, if I don't know about it, I hope to never see it). For what it's worth - I would've gone through your garbage looking for your retainers too :-)